Tuesday, November 8, 2011

3rd graders rock

I think I've mentioned before about how fun it is to work with kids on mosaics.  They are attentive and eager, excited to do something new with "grown up" materials.  I usually use stained glass or glass tile that I've precut and tumbled in my rock tumbler to smooth the edges a bit.  I give them the instructions that this is a "grown up" art material and should be treated with respect.  Don't put it near your face, don't poke your friend (or enemy), the glass should be transported from one area to another in a container, not your hand, it doesn't go into your pocket, don't toss it... etc, etc. etc.  The 'MOM' tone ('Mean Old Mom') works wonders during this phase of instruction.  This school project was completed by 3rd graders, probably most around 8 years old.  Their school has a special music group called "mustang melodies" and this design was perfect for the residency.  We ended up with 4 sections of music, each one about 40" long x 8" wide.  I cemented them to the block walls, high out of reach, but not out of view.  I mentioned to one class that their project would stay on the walls and they could come back one day and still see their work.  One cutie said that hopefully when she was 'grown up in high school' she would come back to visit and see her mosaic, and remember our fun day together.  I certainly hope so!!

1 comment: