Tuesday, May 1, 2012

tree peony


Finally..... I bought these peony bulbs about 4 years ago.  The bulbs were shriveled and dusty, down at the bottom of the past season, super clearance, you're crazy if you buy me bin.  They said "tree peony" so I planted them underneath a large oak in my backyard (yes, that was my non-scientific botany reasoning, not the package directions).  They did sprout the next spring, but no buds.  They have steadily gained strength, and last year I had one flower.  This year there are about 7 buds and it actually is big enough to need some gentle support.  Today my patience (and luck) was rewarded with 3 gorgeous open blooms.  I love how the centers are frilly and there are just a couple of petals that are fringed.  First I thought that was damage from critters, kids, or who knows what, but each of the blooms has the two fringed petals.  So lovely.  I think I feel a mosaic coming on...

1 comment:

  1. Jeanette! These are breathtaking!!!! My,my,my! I want to stare at them for hours!

    ReplyDelete