Thursday, December 13, 2012

fitting it all in

This time of year is always so crazy busy.  It starts just before Thanksgiving and then in a whirlwind of rushing around, the holidays are over and I usually feel let down, and winter blahs find a very easy target.  It is mainly my own doing.  Patterns of behavior and personal stress quirks become illuminated and magnified with every LED twinkle light.  Trying to fit it all in is exhausting.

This Fall I've had the great pleasure to be involved with Communities in Schools of Orange County.  I am finishing up a 12 session residency with a Middle School after school program.  CIS facilitates opportunities for kids to have additional educational opportunities and resources via this casual learning environment, plus they get a nutritious snack, and some supervised afterschool TLC.

Besides creating a  mosaic artwork I have incorporated as much as I possibly could into these 12 sessions; world cultures/history, literature, math, science, computer skills, working with tools, brainstorming and planning, working individually and collaboratively, creative thinking/play with recycled and non/traditional materials, hands on art activities, and photography.  There have been a few challenges, not all students come to all sessions, the time is condensed due to their bus schedules, and several of the students do not speak English.  I have learned so much from these kids.  I'm so glad I took the time to fit it in.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fabulous and worthwhile venture--you got to be a teacher and a student. :)

    ReplyDelete