Friday, January 24, 2014

collaborating with teachers

One of the really great things about what I do is having the opportunity to collaborate with teachers in order to facilitate a mosaic for their school that is truly meaningful and exciting for that specific community of participants.  For the Boston (Framingham) residency, I had the great fortune of being discovered by art teacher, Maria Enrique, who then was my primary faculty contact as well as daily staff support.  She is an enthusiastic teacher and creative person, and was a pleasure to communicate and work with.  She was able to coordinate concept and sketch ideas (thank you 2nd grade teacher, Martha Fuentes for your fabulous designs), keep up with my emails and distribute information as needed, receive materials ahead of the residency, and coordinate every class schedule to have time with me in her classroom for 2 weeks, whew.

She had trust and faith in me that I knew what I was doing, and could actually facilitate this vision.  I was happy to be able to show her some of the process like using the tile tape and spreading mastic, and she was on hand to help with cutting out patterns, tile tape, and talk through each group of participants and the groups she thought would work best together (classroom management).  

Other faculty, parents, and staff (thank you maintenance dept!), were also instrumental in ensuring that I had everything I needed and that each day went smoothly.  The administration team came to many of the sessions, and were able to understand and experience how their students were able to create this mosaic together.

This is truly a collaborative process, and I am grateful to this sharing and welcoming community!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment