Saturday, December 3, 2011

repaired Venus


If you've been reading recently, you know I went to Italy for a mosaic course in Ravenna.  The course was with Luciana Notturni at her Mosaic Art School.  She is an expert in ancient mosaics, utilizing traditional techniques and tools.  She also creates modern mosaic works, architectural, sculptural, and fine art wall hangings.  It was a special week to be able to learn from her how to cut smalti with a hammer and hardie, traditional tools I had not tried before in my years of mosaic making and experimenting.  I signed up for her 3D mosaic course, since that is one direction my own personal work has taken in the last 5 years after a wonderful sculptural workshop with Sherri Warner Hunter.  I decided on a Venus Flytrap for my project, small enough to finish during the week, but with some intricate details that needed some special attention.  Unfortunately it was damaged in my travels home, but I was able to repair it this week.  I have plans to collaborate with an engineer friend in order to realize a kinetic 6' version soon. 

1 comment: