Monday, July 23, 2012

people's choice

It's been a strange week.  An opportunity came along that was going to be great, then was miscommunicated, then on hold, then shut down.  Sort of to my relief, but I'm kind of angry about it too.  It's funny why things do or don't work out the way we would like.  Sometimes our fault, often times not. 

I did get notice that 2 of my sculptural mosaics have won the "People's Choice Award" for 2 different exhibits.  It is a bummer to never (almost never, I did win once) win a top prize in the sculpture shows.  It's usually men, with big metal structures (no pun intended).  Everyone, besides judges apparently, loves my work.  It's different, colorful, playful, appealing to all ages...  easy to understand.  It is very rewarding to win People's Choice... I make art for people, not art judges or critics (well, I guess they are people too).

I've been asked this week to be on a judging committee/panel soon.  I wonder how I'll feel about the process.  Can I remember how it feels to be judged during the action?  How does one be compassionate when there can only be one winner?

Thanks friends for your support and hug an artist today... they probably need it.



1 comment:

  1. Hey friend. Congrats on the "People's Choice Award"! You ARE indeed the people's choice - even if the judges don't know it fully. Perhaps they are not real people. :) Oh, that surely explains everything! LOL

    I'm sure being on the judging end yourself will be enlightening. As you said, at the end of the day, there can only be one winner. :(

    ReplyDelete