Thursday, January 19, 2012

alternate transportation

Ravenna, Italy is a town full of cyclists.  Not racing cyclists, or leisure cyclists, but everyday means of transportation cyclists.  I saw elderly women and men slowly pedaling, professionals in work clothing, mothers with baskets full of groceries, families with babies in specials seats with windshields for protection, lots of school children riding home for their mid-day break.  There were cars, of course, but by far the bicycle seemed to be the most efficient way to get around this small to mid size town.

When I was a kid in Florida, we rode our bikes to school.  Every day.  There wasn't a bus, and we only had one car that my dad drove to work.  When we moved to the mountains of Western NC, just going around our neighborhood block on a bike was nearly impossible with the steep inclines, dramatic turns, and narrow lanes.  In fact, I had a crash just a few yards away from my own house that has since (for 30 years) discouraged me from enjoying bicycle riding.  I have a few physical scars left, but mainly the damage has been psychological.  I cringe for the die-hard riders between Durham and Chapel Hill that I often see or get stuck behind.  They usually are all decked out in special gear, with backpack camel water supply, rear view mirrored helmets, skinny butt- padded tights, blinking head and tail lights.  I find myself both aggravated by and admiring these folks.

I have taught my boys to ride, safely with their helmets, hand motions to turn and stop.  We have 3 dusty and spiderwebby bikes in the garage.  Right now I'm procrastinating my morning walk.  Maybe I'll try an afternoon ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment