Tuesday, January 10, 2012

new year treasure

I admit, this unseasonably warm weather here in NC put a bit of a spin on the holiday mood this year.  On top of that I caught a cold ,and was home with 2 teenage boys for 2 weeks (who wanted to bicker and eat the whole time).  The first week back to normal schedule felt strange, and although I have plenty to do for several mosaic jobs on the horizon, I just couldn't get back in the swing of things.  This past Saturday was lovely with 65 degrees and sun, I spontaneously asked the boys if they wanted to go to the Raleigh Fairgrounds Flea Market.  Usually one wants to go and the other doesn't but they were agreeable, so off we went (with the 15 yr old driving, I must add).  Both boys, but especially the older, are interested in old Military items, from clothing to equipment, to photos and ephemera.  They found their treasures right away and spent at least an hour deciding which items should come home and negotiating the prices.  On our way out, I spied some dirty storage boxes underneath one of the tables, and to my delight they were filled with stained glass scraps.  There were two other large wooden boxes filled with whole sheets as well.  Needless to say, they are now in my garage.  Mainly color sorted already, they need a rinse, but other than that, ready for business!  I think the flea market man thought I was the biggest sucker in town, buying all that dirty glass....

1 comment: