Saturday, January 21, 2012

mother and child

My oldest son went to his first formal event last night, the JROTC Military Ball.  He's in 10th grade, and the highest ranking sophomore in his program.  I've never considered our family particularly militaristic, although my Dad is a peace time Navy vet, and my Grandfather served in WW2 as an engineer in the Army Aircorps, keeping the photo recon equipment running (his division was responsible for all of the D-day photo recon, and was always a step ahead of the infantry in France).  Anyway, Danny has a keen interest in history and military, and is planning to continue ROTC to get him to college and the first steps of his adulthood.  As a mother, I have mixed feelings.  I am extremely proud of his desire to serve our country, and he is a natural leader.  He also has great physical conditioning and work ethic.  I know he would be suited to this type of adventure and potential career path.  But, he is still my child.  He'll be 16 in a couple months.  He's well over 6 feet tall, and shaves, albeit occasionally.   But, he's still my child. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this Jeannette. I've had similar struggles with excepting the paths my children have taken. Prayer and love will get you through.
    Charron
    PS there is a chance I might be going to Italy so I would love to know about the place you visited for mosaic making. Also I assume you got into the Scrapel Hill show, if not that is just another reason for me not to go to University Mall. I'm anxious to see your creation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Mosaic School with Luciana Notturni (I think that's the right spelling)in Ravenna (south of Venice on the Adriatic coast)was where I took the mosaic course. There are 10 or so World Heritage Byzantine mosaic historical sites there as well. You should be able to find the Mosaic School on FB as well as their basic website. She is an expert in the ancient methods, but occasionally has other offerings. It was laid back and comfortable, English speaking. I flew into/out of Venice since I wanted to visit there too. In Venice I stayed at the Orsoni B&B and smalti foundry. They offer classes too with a talented woman named Antonella. You can find them on FB and website too. I did get into Scrapel Hill, and will be collaborating with an engineer to make a kinetic mosaic this year. We'll see how it goes. HOw about you?

    ReplyDelete