Sunday, October 23, 2011

love lifts

This sculpture has been clear in my mind from the start.  A small group of 4 artists in Durham started meeting in the early spring, sharing art that is uplifting and inspiring and not necessarily full of angst and dark undercurrents. While discussing our various strengths and weaknesses, as well as skills, this sculpture popped into my mind.  I had completed it in July, then promptly crashed it on the eve of it's public debut. Note to self, don't try to move heavy objects over garage threshold alone. It needed mosaic repair, although the form was undamaged.  The original repurposed scrappy TV stand was unusable.  Fortunately a friend is an engineering/mechanical/fabricating wiz and was available to make a new, improved, stable stand for my piece. Now, it's ready to show this week in Raleigh at the Convention Center Wednesday night for the Speaking of Women's Health Conference.  I'll be there with my 4 friends, showing uplifting, beautiful art.   Certainly there is a place for all types of creative expression, I just prefer to create work that everyday folks can look at and connect with in a positive manner.  So,go right ahead and call it happy, pretty, neat, cool, joyful, fun, lively, colorful.  I'm totally fine with that.

1 comment: